So I’ve been having an ongoing discussion with my crew about what are the best “man” movies of our time. I was watching the tube last night and what happened to come on but one of the all time great “man” movies - Conan the Barbarian. You could almost have most Arnold movies on this list but for sake of fairness I’ll only include two. Here is my top ten list (actually could be much longer but I’m keeping it to ten) but mind you it’s not a ranked list. Surely most men have seen all these movies but in case you haven’t go netflix or download all these movies and let the testosterone flow!
1. Conan the Barbarian: Arnold’s first major motion picture which also includes the great James Earle Jones as the antagonist. Great line: “Conan, what is best in life?” “Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.”
2. Fight Club: Brad Pitt’s finest work to date (Ed Norton wasn’t too shabby himself but Brad shines in this one and makes us forgive him for Legends of the Fall). Great line: “Hey, you created me. I didn’t create some loser alter-ego to make myself feel better. Take some responsibility!”
3. Enter the Dragon: You could put any of Bruce’s movies on this list but this one was his last before he died and definitely his best work. Great line: “Don’t think. FEEL. It is like a finger pointing away to the moon. Do not concentrate on the finger or you will miss all that heavenly glory.”
4. Die Hard: Bruce Willis is a man’s man and the first installment of the Die Hard legend is Bruce’s finest “man” movie and contains one of the best lines in movie history. Great line: “Yippie-ki-yay, motherfucker.
5. Braveheart: Mel Gibson not only starred but he directed AND won Oscars for this epic “man” movie. The first huge battle scene took a month long to shoot. That tells you how insanely epic this movie is. Great line: “They may take our lives. But they’ll never take our freedom!”
6. Terminator 2-Judgment Day: Arnold’s second movie on this list. It was a tough to choose as he has many other classic “man” movies but this one was a revolutionary movie in it’s time. It was the first movie to cost 100 million to make. Great line: “Hasta la vista, baby.”
7. Rambo - First Blood: Would be fair to not put Sly on the list. Gotta love this gritty violent Man vs. World concept. Great line: “Vagrancy was it? That’s gonna look real good on his grave stone in Arlington: Here lies John Rambo, winner of the Congressional Medal of Honor, survivor of countless incursions behind enemy lines. Killed for vagrancy in Jerkwater, USA.”
8. Unforgiven: OK, so you could add most of Clint’s great spaghetti westerns on here like Fistful of Dollars or The Good The Bad The Ugly but I choose Unforgiven because in my opinion I think it was his best movie. Great line: “That’s right. I’ve killed women and children. I’ve killed just about everything that walks or crawled at one time or another. And I’m here to kill you, Little Bill, for what you did to Ned.”
9. Aliens: How can a “man” movie have a female heroin? Ripley is one of the most bad ass heroins in all of movies so to leave her off this list would be sacrilege. Great line: “Get away from her you bitch!”
10. Mad Max: Mel Gibson’s first movie as an actor and a classic revenge movie as Mel’s family gets murdered and he goes on a vengeful rampage thus spawning the other two movies in this great trilogy - Road Warriors and Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome. Great line: “The chain in those handcuffs is high-tensile steel. It’d take you ten minutes to hack through it with this. Now, if you’re lucky, you could hack through your ankle in five minutes. Go.”